Dissertation Research Travel Grants 2022-23
Application deadline: Monday, April 25, 2022
The Humanities Division provides limited funding for students who plan to travel to conduct dissertation research. A student may only receive a Dissertation Research Travel Grant once in his or her graduate career and the grants are not renewable. The funding for these grants comes from several accounts, including the Arnaldo Momigliano Dissertation Research Travel Award fund and the Biamonte Fellowship fund.
Funding from these grants is extremely limited. Students should first apply for travel grants from departments and centers (e.g., Nicholson, France Chicago, CEAS, COSAS) before requesting these funds.
Applicants will be awarded funds based on their specific travel and financial needs, the quality and feasibility of their projects, in addition to other academic qualifications.
If a student's research needs can be met in Regenstein Library, funding from these grants will not be possible. Additionally, these grants are not intended for pre-dissertation survey trips.
Students who have previously done research at the location for which they are applying must explain why a return trip is necessary to complete their research, and they must ask their recommender to comment on their explanation. Other eligibility requirements:
1. Admission to candidacy before disbursement of the award.
2. Begin research at location no earlier than the start of Summer Quarter 2022.
3. Complete research at location no later than end of Spring Quarter 2023.
All materials should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, April 25. Announcements of the winners will be made in late May/early June 2022. Each application must include:
1. A completed application form which includes a statement, itinerary, and budget.
2. One letter of recommendation which should be from the chair of the student's dissertation committee.
3. If the student will be consulting either individuals or archives that have limited access, the student must also provide confirmation that these resources will be available to her or him.
4. A curriculum vitae (CV).
5. Transcripts will provided by the Dean of Students office.
The selection committee reserves the right not to consider dossiers which do not comply with these requirements. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.