Receiving Your Degree

Please note: this information is for graduate students in the Division of the Humanities. All other students should refer to the University Registrar or their respective school or program.

Once you have satisfied the requirements of your program and are ready to receive your degree, you should submit a degree application at MyUChicago. In the ‘My Information’ portlet look under 'Academics' and set your Expected Graduation Date to the current quarter to access the application. If you are a PhD student wanting to receive a non-terminal MA, do not change your Graduation Date but instead contact the Dean of Students Office at for assistance. All degree applications (PhD and MA) are due by 5:00 PM (CST) on Friday of the first week of the quarter in which you would like to graduate.

Please note that it is the responsibility of the student to declare their intent to apply for and receive a non-terminal MA degree during their time in the degree program.  A PhD student can get a terminal MA if they are leaving their program, or a non-terminal MA before or concurrently with the PhD.  MA degrees will not be conferred post-graduation after a student has received their PhD degree.

Anyone who wants to apply to graduate but no longer has access to MyUChicago should contact the Dean of Students Office and their department for assistance.

International students receiving any terminal degree should inform the Office of International AffairsIf you fail to notify OIA, this could have serious consequences if you want to visit, study, or work in the U.S. in the future.

Degree applications are valid only for the quarter in which they are made. If you are unable to graduate by the end of that quarter, you will need to reapply. If you need to withdraw your degree application, contact the Dean of Students Office by 4:30 PM (CST) by Friday of the fifth week of the quarter. Applications withdrawn after this deadline will be subject to a $65 fee.

Contact Us

Office of the Dean of Students