Getting Started

Getting Started

Responding to an offer of admission

Please see the guidelines for Admission Decisions.

Claiming the CNetID

Students who accept their offers of admission will receive their University of Chicago student ID (UCID) numbers by email in mid-May. Once you have been assigned your UCID number, you may get a CNetID username at Create CNetID. Your CNetID serves as the basis of your email address (i.e., where the CNetID is "janedoe," is the email address on the University system). It is also used as your account name or login ID when you connect securely to the wireless network or check your University email account, and in most situations where an account name of some sort is required. Please note that once you create your CNetID it cannot be changed to reflect name changes, etc. in the future. Please create your CNetID as soon as possible after receiving your UCID number from us.

Student Loans

You can find information about student loans and about the Federal Work/Study Program, including deadlines and application forms, by going to the Office of Financial Aid website. Please note: if you submit a FAFSA as part of your application you should have the report sent to "University of Chicago Graduate" for correct processing. If you apply by the June 30th priority deadline, your loan will be processed in time for the beginning of the academic year in late September, though you may apply for student loans beyond that deadline.

Students with Disabilities

The University of Chicago is committed to facilitating the full participation of students with disabilities in the life of the University. Student Disability Services is responsible for determining eligibility as well as the types of accommodations for students with disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, and you would like to speak to someone about your eligibility for accommodations and services please contact the Student Disability Services office as early as possible for a confidential discussion about your access needs. Please keep in mind that timely disclosure is encouraged, as some accommodations take time to implement.
If you would like to read about the University's responsibilities to and resources for students with disabilities, please visit the website for Student Disability Services.

International Student Visas

The Humanities Division Dean of Students Office and the Office of International Affairs will assist you in securing the neccessary documents to apply for a student visa.  The Office of International Affairs offers basic information on the visa process, and you can expect to recieve detailed instructions via email from the Humanities Division Dean of Students Office.  You should contact us at if you have any questions or concerns about the visa process. 

Contact Us

Office of the Dean of Students