The Dean’s Distinguished Dissertation Award recognizes the scholarly contributions of a dissertation project. The recipient of the 2020 award will be recognized at the Humanities Division Spring Convocation in June 2020.
Each department may submit one nominee to be considered for the award. The dossier is to be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Students no later than April 27, 2020.
• A 2020 nominee must have a graduation date in one of the 4 quarters between Spring quarter 2019 and Winter quarter 2020. Or have deposited the dissertation with the Dissertation Office by the first week of the Spring quarter 2020 for a Spring graduation (April 10, 2020).
• Excellence in writing
• Scholarly excellence
• Methodological sophistication
• Significant contribution to the field
• Time-to-degree: Preference for the award will be given to nominees who graduated within 7 years from matriculation.
Award amount and recognition
• The 2020 awardee will receive a cash award of $1,500 and a certificate, and will be recognized at the Humanities Division Spring Convocation in June 2020.
Dossier must be submitted as one pdf file to email@example.com by April 27, 2020, and include the following:
1) A letter of nomination from the department chair that:
i) provides departmental endorsement;
ii) comments on academic circumstances relating to the time-to-degree.
2) A letter of support from the dissertation committee chair that:
i) explains the impact of this thesis work on the field;
ii) assesses the nominee’s scholarly creativity in the thesis work;
iii) addresses any technical or methodological difficulties that were surmounted;
iv) cites external recognition in the field, such as grant awards or scholarly presentations.
3) A second letter of support from a dissertation committee member.
4) A copy of the abstract that was submitted for the dissertation defense.
5) A copy of the thesis.