Applications have closed for Spring 2022 awards. Please check back in Winter 2023 for updated information for Spring 2023.
The Dean’s Distinguished Dissertation Award recognizes the scholarly contributions of a dissertation project. The recipient of the 2022 award will be recognized at the Humanities Division Spring Convocation in June 2022.
Each department may submit one nominee to be considered for the award. The dossier is to be submitted to the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com no later than April 25, 2022.
• A 2022 nominee must have a graduation date in one of the four quarters between Spring quarter 2021 and Winter quarter 2022, or have deposited the dissertation with the Dissertation Office by the first week of the Spring quarter 2022 for a Spring graduation (June 3, 2022).
• Excellence in writing
• Scholarly excellence
• Methodological sophistication
• Significant contribution to the field
• Time-to-degree: Preference for the award will be given to nominees who graduated within 7 years from matriculation.
Award amount and recognition
• The 2022 awardee will receive a cash award of $1500, a certificate, and will be recognized at the Humanities Division Spring Convocation on Friday, June 3, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
Dossier must be submitted as one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25, 2022, and include the following:
1) A letter of nomination from the department chair that:
i) provides departmental endorsement;
ii) comments on academic circumstances relating to the time-to-degree.
2) A letter of support from the dissertation committee chair that:
i) explains the impact of this thesis work on the field;
ii) assesses the nominee’s scholarly creativity in the thesis work;
iii) addresses any technical or methodological difficulties that were surmounted;
iv) cites external recognition in the field, such as grant awards or scholarly presentations.
3) A second letter of support from a dissertation committee member.
4) A copy of the abstract that was submitted for the dissertation defense.
5) A copy of the thesis.
The committee for the Dean's Distinguished Dissertation Award will review all nominations. The committee includes the Deputy Dean(s) of the Division of the Humanities and the Dean of Students of the Division of the Humanities.