Meet the Staff: Rosemary Cook

Meet the Staff: Rosemary Cook

Rosemary Cook

More than 100 staff members work in the Division of the Humanities. We’ll introduce you to our staff in this continuing series.

Rosemary Cook
Assistant Director, Academic Affairs

What do you like most about your job?

Academic Affairs has a window into the research and growth that is happening in each department that I wouldn't otherwise see. I like the variety of tasks, people, and subject matter that this position allows me to interact with; we're never bored! I'm also a process-oriented person, so it is satisfying to participate in both the micro- and macro- operations that occur throughout the division and see the results of long-term efforts.

What was the last good book you read?

Two novels I read recently both were set in locations that really made an impression: "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson is a worthwhile read, especially while you're in Hyde Park! It details the simultaneous stories of the construction of the 1893 World's Fair right here on Midway Plaisance and the crimes committed by H.H. Holmes in his "Murder Castle" in Englewood. As a mystery and architecture enthusiast, it was tailor-made for me, and so well written it's hard to remember it's non-fiction! Secondly, "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck. A favorite author of mine, his writings about Salinas and close-knit families always make me nostalgic for where I grew up in Northern California.

You might work with me if …

...you have questions about divisional or University policies, are conducting a search for an academic position, are recommending an appointment for a visitor or new hire, are completing a review, or are undergoing personnel processes such as promotion, retirement, or leave.

If you could live anywhere, where would you choose? 

Wherever I live I hope I’m always near a Broadway theater, an airport, a baseball stadium, and a coastline. Chicago checks all the boxes! Recent favorites: Moulin Rouge!, MDW to OAK, White Sox, Promontory Point.

Tagged with: 
August 18, 2022