Meet the Staff: Tara Rutledge

Meet the Staff: Tara Rutledge

More than 100 staff members work in the Division of the Humanities. We'll introduce you to our staff in this continuing series.

Tara Rutledge
Center Coordinator; 
The Karla Scherer Center for the Study of American Culture

What do you like most about your job?
I like the changing variety of University faculty, staff, and students that I interact with during my work. The Scherer Center reaches across many different departments, and I'm always learning something new when preparing for the next event.

What was the last good book you read?
During the pandemic I started reading fiction again for the first time in years after a streak of mostly only religious philosophy and old medical history books (the library has a great collection!). So, I recently joined the club of people who love One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

You might work with me if ...
… you need to host, sponsor, or collaborate on an event, lecture, or workshop that has to do with American history, culture, and society, or to cross-list a course with our designation.

What is your favorite thing about fall?
I love the mood of fall. It's melancholic, which suits me. This time of year always makes me feel reflective, and it's the best for long walks and sitting by the lake. I don't like cold weather, being from North Carolina I'm used to it remaining fairly warm in the fall so I sort of dread the winter coming. But this beautiful, cozy, in-between time feels like being gently told, "Winter's coming ... but it's not here yet, so take your time adjusting and enjoy what's beautiful about now."  Plus, typical fall foods like apples, pumpkin, winter squash, and stews are some of my favorites, and I get excited to start making up my own recipes.

Tagged with: 
October 4, 2021