Meet the Staff: Ellen Pierce

Meet the Staff: Ellen Pierce

More than 100 staff members work in the Division of the Humanities. We'll introduce you to our staff in this continuing series.

Ellen Pierce
Executive Assistant to the Dean,
Office of the Dean

What do you like most about your job?
I really enjoy working in an academic environment, and that no two days are ever the same. I left corporate America almost four years ago to join the Humanities Division, and haven’t missed that environment at all. Also, the people, particularly my colleagues in the Dean’s Office, but also across the Humanities Division and the University.

What was the last good book you read?
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone. It’s the story of Elizebeth Smith Friedman, who invented the modern science of cryptology. She did this in collaboration with her husband, who until very recently has received most (if not all) of the credit. I won’t post any spoilers here, but there are many Chicago connections in the book, including the Newberry Library and the University of Chicago.

You might work with me if you...
…need to arrange a meeting with Dean Robertson, have a question for the Dean, or if you need assistance navigating the Dean’s Office. I also assist faculty and staff who have questions about various Divisional policies, especially the faculty research leave policy.

If you could go anywhere for summer vacation where would you go and why
I spent many summers with my cousins in Michigan, and lately have been thinking about a trip to the Upper Peninsula. I love being near water, and would also like to visit some of the Michigan wineries I’ve been reading about. If I had nothing but free time, I’d expand this trip to a Circle the Lake tour around Lake Michigan and be gone all summer!

Tagged with: 
June 4, 2019