Meet the Staff: Nancy Pardee

Meet the Staff: Nancy Pardee

More than 100 staff members work in the Division of the Humanities. We'll introduce you to our staff in this continuing series.

Nancy Pardee
Administrator and Director of Undergraduate Studies,
The Joyce Z. and Jacob Greenberg Center for Jewish Studies

What do you like most about your job?
I really enjoy working with students as director of undergraduate studies. I’m also a “numbers” person, and so I like managing the finances of the Center, both in its day-to-day and long-term aspects. But a truly special part of my job is the conversations with individuals from the general public. Sometimes an event has brought back memories of their past, or that of their parents or grandparents—they are thrilled that we are “telling their story,” and I am happy to have a part in it. Other times they want to (re-)connect with their Jewish heritage and it is wonderful to hear their personal journeys and offer them some small help along the way.

What was the last good book you read?
 When I am not working for the Center, much of my time is spent in adjunct teaching or in research for a presentation or article I am writing. Most of the books I read come from within my own academic field, which is biblical studies and early Christianity. Right now I am exploring more thoroughly A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus by John Meier.

You might work with me if you...
…need information on possible funding by the Center for projects related to Jewish Studies, information on upcoming visiting professors, answers to questions about our undergraduate major/minor, any financial information, or if you have questions about co-sponsoring events.

What are some of your favorite things to do in Chicago during the spring?
Being a native Chicagoan, spring means the start of the baseball season (Go Cubs!) and generally finds me at Home Depot trying to decide what flowers I want to experiment with during the new year.

Tagged with: 
April 1, 2019