South Asian Music Ensemble Spring Concert
|When||May 14, 2021 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM |
|Event Website||https://music.uchicago.edu/event/south-asian-music-ensemble-spring-concert |
|Contact Information||Music Department |
|Description||The South Asian Music Ensemble’s (SAME) Spring Concert is an annual tradition that serves as a capstone event for the Ensemble. This year's concert includes guest performers and special collaborations, featuring rhythms and styles from a variety of classical and devotional genres. |
The program includes:
• an early twentieth-century ballet by a Bombay-based Sufi guide and musician that first premiered in Russia
• treating the affective expanse of an iconic jazz ballad as a vilambit (slow) movement preceding a drut lay gat (fast movement instrumental composition)
• a choreographed group dance to a khayal-inspired number from a recently produced Indian web series on Amazon Prime
• a song (Manidham Malarattum, aka “Peace Song”) that was specifically commissioned for this occasion and as an entreating meditation on the COVID-19 pandemic, racist violence, and other terrorizing forces confronting us today
• devotional numbers in various languages speaking to the bhakti, sufi, and vaishnav traditions
The concert will run for about 1.5 hours including brief introductory comments by Barbara Schubert (Performance Program Director) and Dr. Anna Schultz (SAME Faculty Coordinator) and concluding remarks by SAME co-directors Minu Pasupathi and Tomal Hossain. It will be recorded and available on the SAME Facebook page and YouTube channel for future viewing. There will be no intermission.
This performance is presented by the Department of Music in partnership with the International House Global Voices Performing Arts Series.
|Categories||Performances, Concerts, Arts, Diversity |
|Persons with disabilities who need an accommodation in order to participate in this event should contact the event sponsor for assistance. |
Back to main calendar